Skip to main content

A fire may start in any room of the house. This is mainly due to the carelessness on the electrical system maintenance, to all the electrical appliances that can be found in any room, to smoking (we have discussed about it in the post on bedroom fires) and to particulare heating systems like fireplaces (we have discussed about it in the post on kitchen fires).
Let us see more thoroughly how to avoid fires caused by electrical system faults.
First of all, the electrical system must be compliant with legal standards, if we are speaking of an old house with an old electrical system, this must be brought up to standard. Standards have been thought to avoid short circuits. If the house is still in the planning phase, see thatthe oultets are far from spots where tents or similar could be in the future (e.g.: windows). If the outlet is overloaded by a short circuit, the flames will immediately spread to the textiles near.
The rule that says that outlets should not be overloaded is crucial. Every outlet is designed to sustain a certain quantity of electricity, an overload is going to be lethal. Also, do ont push the plug inside the outlet if it does not enter with ease, it is better to replace the whole plug rather than risk a short circuit.
If the electrical appliance is more than twenty years old, do not leave it in the stanby mode for a long time, because the electric tension still inside the apparatus could overload it and provoke a short circuit. This luckily does not happen for newer home appliances, which are more technologically advanced. Remember anyway to pre-emptively unplug all appliances in case of storm.

Candles cannot be forgotten in a list of causes for a fire. Leaving a flame unattended, no matter how small, can bring to disastrous aftermath. Lit candles should be placed far from textiles or flammable materials, even though someone is still in the room.