Most of home fires start in the kitchen. This is logical, because of the presence of more than one home and kitchen appliance. In some kitchens, there is also a fireplace or a wood-burning stove, or both, so fires are intentionally built there. Carelessness in this room can turn very harmful.

STOVE
Never leave the stove unattended when you are cooking, especially if you are cooking with oil and you are not covering the pots with a lid. When the oil boils, it has the tendency to spurt outside the pot. If a spurt lands on the flames, it ignites, and the flame can spread and set on fire the oil still in the pot. In these cases, do not try to put the fire out with water: the thermal schock makes the oil spurt even more, and the situation worsens. That is precisely the reason why it is not advisable to pour water in the boiling oil while cooking, even when there are no flames. As soon as a pot catches fire, the best thing to do is to promptly put it out with a lid.
If you are using an oven gas, be very careful when you turn it on, and be sure you have completely switched the knob off when you finish using it. Be sure anyway that there are no gas leaks in the room, when gas accumulates, it could explode with the least heat source.
When you use stoves while wearing synthetic clothes, or your hair is particularly long, always be extremely careful, as these ignite very easily. If this is the case, do not run: this could revive the fire. Just try to put the flames out with water or suffocating them with cloths. It would be best to have a portable class-F fire extinguisher that can be used on live electrical equipment available.

WOOD-BURNING STOVE/FIREPLACE
Be extremely careful when you are building a fire in a fireplace or a wood-burning stove, it is better to spend more time and patience with a safer procedure than light it up with alcohol or similar: the bottle might explode in your hands.
See that the embers will not get out of the stove or the fireplace, they could start a fire.

HOME APPLIANCES
More than an electrical appliance that requires a great amount of electrical energy to work can be often found in the kitchen. Connecting too many appliances to the same outlet, maybe even using an adapter, is heartily discouraged, because the risk is to overload it, creating this way a short circuit. So, besides damaging your appliances, the risk of fire largely rises. If the overall power of the appliance exceeds 1500 Watt, it should not be connected to the electrical outlet together with other appliances. Anyhow, never use an adapter with 10 ampere plugs and 16 ampere outlets.
Moreover, we would like to remind you that all the electrical appliances that are older than 20 years should be put in standby mode as least as possible, the more if they are connected to the same outlet with other obsolete apparatus, even when their individual electricity consumption is low.
It is best practice to disconnect the plug of every electrical appliance if you are sure you will not need to use them for a rather long time (a couple of weeks or more).
We will make mention of a small home appliance (not always used in the kitchen): the flatiron. Most often, forgetting a flatiron on, maybe even near clothes that needs ironing, has caused a fire. Always remember to switch it off, unplug it and let it cool down far from flammable materials once you have done using it.

GAS
If the gas hose is made of rubber, it has an expiry date: check it and, if need be, replace it. It would be best if the hose was in metal.
If you are not connected to the gas network and you use gas tanks, please remember that they are potentially explosive things. If it is possible, keep them out of the kitchen, out of direct sunlight and anyway at a temperature that is lower than 50 °C. Full tanks that have not been used yet should be kept closed and on a fresh location, and you cannot leave the empty tanks in the environment, because they could explode, indeed they always have to be returned to the vendor who is bound to withdraw them.

FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS
Never keep flammable materials like alcohol or solvents in the kitchen. As far as flammable materials useful in the kitchen are concerned, like cloths, towels, hot pads, etc., keep them far from flames.

KEEP YOUR KITCHEN CLEAN
We remind you that grease and fat substances are highly flammable. Degrease thoroughly your kitchen, especially around the stove and in particular the hood filters, it will help to avoid accidents.